Saturday, August 11, 2012

I Want You To Know

I want you to know that Jacob and I are really cool, super attractive, artsy, creative, and perfect in just about every way.

I mean, obviously.


But seriously. I've always hated the blogs where people give off the carefully calculated impression that their life is perfect. That is blatantly untrue. It can't be true, because no one's life is perfect, even when you are traveling the world and taking pretty pictures (like the one above).

As amazing as travel is - the thrill of new places and cultures, the beauty of new sights, the experience of new foods - it can all give way very easily to a sense of restlessness. Homesickness. Purposelessness. (Not sure if that is a word). Living out a dream still has it's ups and downs.

So, now that we are on the same page regarding our awesomeness, here are some pictures.

Thursday evening our hosts threw a little party for all of their house guests. (Besides us, there was family visiting from Washington D.C.). In Sweden there is a traditional summer celebration meal: The Crayfish Feast.

The Crayfish Feast is held in August to mark the beginning of crayfish season. The crayfish are served cold after being boiled in vinegar, dill, and other good stuff. They are traditionally served with Aquavit - a caraway-infused vodka (really good - tastes sort of like whiskey). I couldn't believe it when I saw the platter of crayfish - they looked like plastic.




After our first course of crayfish and vodka, we moved on to another traditional Swedish meal: Pickled Herring.

Pickled Herring is right up there next to Swedish Meatballs on the scale of All-Things-Swedish. It is fish which has been preserved in a vinegary-sugary brine, sometimes with a sauce like honey mustard. It is served with boiled potatoes, red onion, and sour cream. All together it's very good.

To further our education, we learned some traditional Swedish drinking songs. I can't actually sing the words for you, but I can follow along the tune while making convincing Swede-like noises.

On Friday Jacob and I took the bicycles 4 km. out to a nearby lake. It was my turn to take the little yellow bike, the same bicycle that Jacob had taken 20 km. to Skinnskatteberg just a few days earlier. Little did I know - that bike is the two-wheel equivalent of a clown car. I barely made it to the lake, hunched over a bicycle intended for someone a foot shorter than me. I still can't figure out how Jacob made it 20 km.

It rained on us just as we got to the lake, but cleared up fairly quickly.





A picture cannot do it justice.
Now please comment and tell us how cool we are.

10 comments:

  1. Well my kids think you're very cool! I was showing them these pictures explaining that you went far away for a little bit, Joseph's reaction-"mama why??? Chessie is so sweeeeet why she went away??" Joel and I envy you, we went to India for a similar trip, in the hottest time of year with no ac and rode a train for 38 hrs on a wooden bench and I got so sick I thought I was going to die!! Why on earth did we not go to Sweden??? Especially since we were on the continent! Ay ay ay! Well I'm happy for you! You perfect, creative, attractive happy people ;) -AdinaVolle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Adina I cannot tell you how much this comment made us laugh! I can't believe Joseph remembers me - Jacob and I love your kids SO much, that makes us really happy. Oh my goodness that train ride sounds miserable. I think I would have actually died. But India sounds amazing - one day I want to hear more about that trip!

      Delete
  2. I love everything about your blog. Everything. Especially that you both wear big raincoats in every photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see a picture of you on the clown bike. :) I love reading about your new life. It's fun to see my old students all grown up and "adultish" :) I didn't hear why you moved to Sweeden or what you are doing there. For all of us blog stalkers who aren't in your everyday life you should do a post on why. Glad to see you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You both are the coolest cats we know. Oh, and the description of "the yellow bike" made me LOL :) - jo jo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be like you when I grow up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, I wasn't ACTUALLY fishing for compliments! But I'm sure you all knew that. ;) But thanks for all the love guys! It's so good to know that people are actually reading and enjoying our blog! Reading the comments makes our day!

    ReplyDelete